Racing at Spinnaker, programme and Sailing Instructions
Spinnaker Sailing Club runs a full dinghy race programme starting with the New Year's Day Race and finishing in December, yes we race all year! Most races are only for club members but each adopted class also runs an Open event open to visitors.
- Sunday Racing, one day events and Wednesday racing are open to all boat types and all eligible club members.
- Open Events: Open to members and visitors alike. See the relevant Notice of Race for boat eligibility.
Our standard racing Sailing Instructions (SIs) for Sunday and Wednesday can be found on the link below. They are based on the recently updated Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS) available from World Sailing or the RYA. They cover all of the important topics like safety, starting, finishing, the flags and much more.
Additional supplementary instructions for the Laser fleet (single page) are published below.
The Club Calendar shows all of the race fixtures. A convenient summary of the season's races for Wednesday and Sunday is available using the two PDFs available under Downloads below.
You will see that we have two main formats - traditional racing that computes the results using the RYA Portsmouth Yardsticks (PYs), and the very popular Pursuit format where there are start times that vary by boat/ sailor and a fixed finish time. For all the details on Pursuit Racing including all start times for each Sunday or Wednesday race by boat time/ sailor grade, see the separate tab.
See what the wind is doing at Spinnaker: Click here!
There are lots of good sources of information on the racing rules of sailing. Try this link courtesy of the AERO sailors.
- Spinnaker Sailing Instructions Rev F March 2021.pdf
- Laser Suppl SI 31 March 2021.pdf
- Winter Racing Programme 2021 -22 v3.pdf
- 2022 Racing Programme - Wednesdays.pdf
- 2022 Racing Programme - Weekends.pdf
Last updated 09:18 on 20 December 2021